Friday, July 19, 2019

Lost in a Fairytale Part 4 Chair Tutorial

Kitchen chairs are pieces of furniture I usually purchase.  But that doesn't mean you can't add character and make them totally your own.
For this project I partnered with
I chose these chairs on the website. They are spindle back chairs which have a perfectly fairytale look about them! Here's the link:
They are a good base- well made and sturdy.
First, I painted the chairs with a gray(pick your favorite color) acrylic.
 Next, I age the chairs. I use 3 different brown ink pads from the stamping section of the store. These are from Hobby Lobby.

 To get into the tight spots I use a hard bristle brush. This one is well used as you can see!
Don't do your aging evenly. You want some spots with more ink than others. 
For the cushions, I'm starting with a piece of craft foam sheet.  A piece of thick cardboard will work too. I made it just a tad smaller than the chair seat.
 I cut the fabric pieces 1/4" bigger than the foam. And I cut diagonal slits at each corner. To make sure my slits are not too deeply cut,  I placed the foam on the fabric and marked a line with a pencil from the outer corner of the fabric to the corner of the foam.
 I glued down 2 of the sides.
 Next, cut off the extra fabric. I did 2 of the little triangle over hanging fabric here. Next I cut the other 2.
 Now glue down the other 2 sides. For these I'm folding those overhangs under and gluing everything in place.

Hot glue onto chair seat.
 Let's make it pretty!  I am using lace/crochet trim. This one is from the ribbon section of Hobby Lobby's fabric department.  I glue it to the sides of the cushion. I use a combination of glues. For the corners I used hot glue and for the rest craft glue.
 As my pretty ties, I use embroidery floss.  If your ends don't hang properly just coat them with a little glue.  You can even glue them to the chair's leg if they are really unruly.

 I painted a rose on each chair back.  I use acrylics: red, pink, white, green. Don't let any color dry between each step. Start with a red center and swoosh some pink into it. Not covering the red but pulling some into the pink for sure. Then I accent with white and add green leaves. And I don't clean my brush between steps either.

I hope you found this tutorial easy and helpful. Happy creating!

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Lost in a Fairytale Part 3

Now it's time to finish the exterior. Not all parts of your dollhouse have to be wood. 
 There are certain things like the dormer roofs,
 The cone shaped roofs and
the door surround where I use cardboard.  These are often odd angles or pieces that need to be cut precisely for a space.  Covered with concrete it will be a strong as every other part of the roof. also sent me a pair of acanthus brackets. You can purchase them here:
 I love the weight and size of them.  They don't feel cheap and all the details are clean. 
I glued them onto the front door surround and then applied the concrete all around them. Then painted everything dark brown.
 I used concrete to cover most of the house.
Here is the link for the concrete I use:
It's a pre-mixed product which means no mess and the correct consistency every time.
I use acrylics to paint.

 All the bricks, stones, beams are done using a thin edge (like a utility knife or X-acto knife) while the concrete is still wet.  If it's too wet and your lines are disappearing just give it 5 minutes to set a little. Then you'll be able to get a nice sharp line. 
All the shingles and coconut fiber roofing is glued on and the greenery also glued on. See the links for all different types of vines and flowers on my resources page. 
The coconut is used to line the bottom of outdoor pots.
I hot glued it onto the roofs.
 On this side of the house I wanted to put an extra fancy piece of trim behind the turret. 
I found the perfect piece at
This moulding is perfect because the top shelf sticks out from under the roof and it looks like a gutter. 

The door is from here:
Next post I will show you how I finish these chairs...
They will be part of a little eating area. 

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Lost in a Fairytale Custom Dollhouse Part 2

Next, I did the front door.   I was gifted this door by  It's a Dutch door. You can find it here:
It's the perfect design for an old fairytale style cottage.
I didn't have to do much to this door. It already had plenty of character. So I painted it brown. I used acrylics and I did an uneven paint job to look like old wood. I finished with a coat of gloss.
I made the doorknobs with beads painted with white nail polish. And glued the door in place.
The interior is all done. All the trims are in place. The handmade chandeliers are wired in and the mantel also.
I did the ceiling here as a tin ceiling using hot glue.  Then put the chandelier in place.
I did a darker mantel that matches the door.   Everything is aged with brown inks and even white paint.
Upstairs, also has a wired chandelier and the 2nd half of the roof is now glued on.
 There is a spiral staircase in this house.  I have it drying inside the turret in the photo above. Perfect place to keep it safe while the delicate stairs dry.  I got the tutorial for these stairs from
The turret is a paper macher wine box  I cut in half, plastered and painted.
After I let the stairs dry overnight, I painted them the same dark brown as the door and mantel.Glued them in the correct position inside the turret and glued the turret to the house.
Next, the exterior finishes.