Friday, September 18, 2015

Francie's Travel Trailer Dollhouse

This is my second trailer dollhouse. The first one was with the Greenleaf kit. But for this commission I decided to make my own.  It's about 7 3/4" x 7 3/4" x 18" long not counting the trailer pull at the front. First, here are a couple of photos of the trailer right before I finished it.
Here you can see the wires coming out of the top of the roof.
The interior without any of the curtains.
 And here is the trailer finished.
 Under the air conditioner on top of the trailer, I have the battery and switch.
 The painting on the exterior is suppose to be very casual like doodling. 

 It was tough to find the right bathtub. When I did the first one, I used a small loaf pan.  They were really hard to find this time. I finally found some at HomeGoods for about $5-$6. There were 4 of them stuck on a rack. But they could be removed. 

 The plumbing is done with thick wire. 
The front pull is not centered here. But that's just because I only had it there for the photo.  I didn't want to glue it on for the shipping. 
I'll be doing a couple more trailers for commissions next.  I have a plan all ready to go for a new dollhouse too. Now I just need the time! :)

Saturday, September 5, 2015

A New Gypsy Travel Trailer Dollhouse Called Francie

Remember my first Gypsy Trailer Dollhouse? It was inspired by the 1:1 Magnolia Pearl Airstream trailer by Robin Brown.  Well I'm doing a second one! This time no kit. 
I used 1/8" bass wood for the main frame. For the curved sides and roof I used 1/16"  bass wood.  And for the window and door trims I used 1/32" bass wood.
Getting those curved windows right is challenging. We're still learning to use the new scroll saw. Everything will be fixed by sanding though!  For the wallpaper, so easy! They are all bits of pretty paper.  We used a spray glue this time. It seems to work well with less bubbles. 
 This trailer is 18" long x 7 3/4" wide x 7 3/4" tall(without wheels).

 This is the 1/32" thick bass wood. It's very easy to cut. I used a small box cutter.
 We sanded all the edges round and painted the whole exterior silver. There are still no trims on the exterior.

 The ceiling will be "tin" tiles.

I have a few pieces for the interior.   This is a bit of a project for sure! If you are a novice with dollhouses I definitely suggest getting the kit.  Kits are such a great way to learn. 
Until next time!